Hard day's work!

On this gorgeous winter's day, deep in the Tamar Valley, I'm reminded of my truly fortunate lot. Not only do I get to live in this beautiful part of the world, but I sit here with this view from my studio!


I contemplate planting designs for my current projects: a couple of coastal gardens here on the NE coast of Tassie, a semi-rural job overlooking the Tamar River and a Melbourne residence, not to mention the early phases of my own country garden on Pipers River...yes, we're finally planning the build, which means I can get cracking!

Each project takes me to a different part of the country (today at least, only in my mind) and I'm considering the local conditions at each site, such as soils, rainfall and naturally occurring plants to include in the mix.

Today...to the coast, and on entering the property, I'm thinking silver-grey and grey-green foliage like Banksia sp., Westringia, and Correa alba...

Banksia

Westringia

Correa

...combined with a backdrop of green Dodonea sp. and small trees: Eucalyptus 'Silver Princes' and Agonis flexuosa 'Burgundy'.




Eucalyptus 'Silver Princess'
Photo: Din San Nursery

Then a blend of Agave sp., Lomandra and the odd Kangaroo paw, along with Common everlasting (AKA Yellow buttons).

Agave

Lomandra 'Tanika'

And on arrival at the front door, an exuberant display of wild flowers and perennials such as Paper daisies, Gaura, Seaside daisies, Brachyscome varieties, Billy buttons, native Clematis and the gorgeous Russian sage.

Paper daisies

Brachyscome

Billy buttons

Russian sage (right)

I can't wait to see this garden planted!


No comments:

Post a Comment