plant of the month - July 2012


Grevillea longistyla
Photograph by Melburnian. Some rights reserved.
One of my all-time favourite grevilleas, Grevillea longistyla is all class!

A member of the Proteaceae family and named due to its especially long style protruding from magnificent flowers.

It displays delicious coral pink flowers in late winter through to early summer and fine, slender deep green foliage. I love the movement of the fine leaves in a light breeze.

This graceful, quick-growing evergreen is a great screening option with its upright habit. It grows up to 3-4 meters high and 2-3 meters wide. Use it along a fenceline, or as a soft privacy screen. Wonderful as a feature too, I've used them set back either side of a path leading to my front door...I want to see them everyday! 

Performs best in well drained soil with a sunny aspect. It can withstand filtered sunlight, but flowers will be fewer. A light prune to ensure a dense habit and to encourage fresh new flowering growth. Frost and drought tolerant once established. 

Birds love this grevillea for its nectar and both are a very welcome addition to my garden!