design of a new country garden...

I can’t tell you how keen I am to get out into the garden, to start building up beds and planting the few precious little gems I’ve bought or propagated since arriving in Tasmania, from Central Victoria two years ago.

    

I really struggle to stop myself from loading the ute with goodies as I do the rounds of the nurseries, checking out what's good to grow locally. It’s tough! But I know that acting on such whims would be jumping the gun...I haven’t even done a plan for the garden yet...Patience!

We’ve played around with some conceptual ideas for the garden. We’ve dreamed about all the elements we’d like to include. But further planning has to wait...until we site and design the house. Then I’ll know how to take advantage of our aspect, views to frame and enhance, those to conceal, areas for outdoor living, creating screening for privacy and from the elements, and more!



In the meantime, I'm generating a plant list...it includes exotic and native plants I love, fantastic Tasmanian plants that are great for gardens, as well as some found growing on the block naturally. 

My list will change as the design takes shape, but it gives me an idea of the type of plants I'd like to include. It's not easy 'cause I have a few favourites. At least I can work on the style of the garden...I'm thinking it needs to blend with the wider environment.

More immediately though, our temporary accommodation is in desperate need of a makeover! Not only will we add another 'room' (one way or another) and re-clad or at least paint the whole thing, we’ll add a deck and a terrace. Then there are practical issues...like pulling out the old Hill's Hoist which is taking up prime real estate...right where our new deck should be. How then, to incorporate a 'clothes drying area' elsewhere in the garden...without looking like a clothesline.

Plants, plants, plants are in dire need. They’ll create screens for privacy, from strong winds as well as to block out ugly shedding and utility areas.


  

The concept of this garden is coming together as we plan the entertaining areas. But at this stage, the only certainties are the productive areas: vegies, herbs and orchard. Having said that, nothing is permanent. Everything depends on the new house: how the driveway is to meander down to meet it (I reckon my existing vegie garden might be in the way), how far the ornamental gardens extend into an area currently flagged for the orchard, extent of shade and other microclimates created by the house, and, and, and........

In this blog, I'll share with you how I solve these issues and more!