plant of the month - december 2011

Fairy-like flowers
Heuchera 'Snowdrift'


This cool climate-loving perennial is a new find for me. The family is native to America, but I came across it at an open garden last year here in Tassie. I bought one, divided it and now I have a few more...still in pots at this stage. I'll try raising some from fresh seed in the coming weeks.


They love morning sun, but prefer a little protection from hot afternoon sun in summer. They need some moisture, so if you don't plan to irrigate your garden, a lower, well-drained point in the bed might be the way to go. Or plant them along with other favourites of similar moisture requirements where you can keep an eye on them...getting some water to them in drier times.


Foliage is a beautiful lime to dark green, low clumping and dense. Older foliage may have a reddish tinge. Delicate white blooms held on red stems above the foliage are fairy-like and mine have been flowering since early spring. I believe they flower through to autumn. 


Can't wait to create the perfect place to display these beauties - they look amazing planted en masse and after rain hold tiny drops of water like pretty jewells.