bring on spring!

Winter's end is drawing nigh, but there's still time to get those jobs done in preparation for spring.

1. clean up tools in readiness for a good workout. Restore handles with a mixture of turpentine and linseed oil after sanding any rough timber; clean and sharpen secateurs; remove soil and buildup from heads of spades, rakes, etc. 

My tools lined up in readiness of a good scrub
- don't forget to maintain garden machinery such as lawn mower, grass trimmers, chippers, etc. Ensure they're running well and you won't be burning up fuel unnecessarily.

2. Last chance for winter pruning fruit trees if you're aim is to control size and shape. Prune roses and deciduous shrubs too...but hurry!

3. Ornamental grases: cut back old growth to initiate fresh new growth (only needs doing every few years).


4. Tip prune winter flowering shrubs after flowering to encourage a compact, bushy habit...but wait until the last chance of frost has past, or that tender new growth could be hit hard.

5. Remove spent flowers and old growth from perennials and groundcovers such as Chrysocephalum apiculatum, Common everlasting.


6. You might still be able to get hold of bare rooted trees and roses, a much cheaper way of buying them. You can get decent sized trees at a fraction of the cost of buying them in pots later in the year.

7. Leaf curl: if your peach, nectarine, almond or apricot trees haven't sent out their young shoots yet, you can still get in and spray for leaf curl...I use a home-made bordeaux mix, which is also useful for avoiding rust on raspberries. But it will burn shoots that have already emerged.

8.  Keep an eye on frost tender plants and cover with frost cloth or a sheet if severe frosts are predicted.

In my patch...
The new raspberry beds will soon be furnished with posts at either end (about 3m apart), with wire strung at heights of 50cm, 100cm and 150cm. This will allow for ease of training and managing new canes as well as picking those precious red jewels. 

Something to aspire to
New strawberry beds are narrower than last years, with only one row in each. This means I can reach the fruit and control those persistent runners easily.

I've prepared (reads "weeded") the new potato patch and it's ready to go.

Green manure bed, broad beans this year (and the odd rouge coriander seedling), is kicking along so nicely that I might transplant some of the healthy ones to replace those not so healthy in my actual broad bean bed.


Prepare beds surrounding vegie patch fence...the idea here is to grow a low hedge to protect the productive garden from winds every-which-way. I was thinking of using some kunzea that I propagated from seed collected on the property....trouble is I don't have enough plants. Might try something like Hop bush and keep it low...make decision!

Selection growing on in my 'nursery'
I plan to mulch the orchard (1 year old now...not expecting fruit any time soon) to keep weeds at bay and I'm looking into companion plants to grow between trees...they'll bring beneficial insects in to help control the nasty ones.

Young trees in 1yr old orchard


Work with me to create the garden of your dreams. Call me on 0400 258 362, email me at kj@karenjohnson.com.au or visit me online at my website or on Facebook