Australian Garden

A trip to Melbourne, and I can't go past a visit to the Australian Garden at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Cranbourne. But last spring, I was in for a real treat....stage 2 was open at last and I could hardly wait to see it! 

Distracted briefly by the well established first stage, with the wonderful Rockpool and Waterway, Water Conservation Garden, examples of mini-gardens to suit a range of house styles, and the enchanting Kids Backyard.

I paused to admire this stunning Morning iris, Orthrosanthus laxus...


...the Native frangipani, Hymenosporum flavum, in all its blooming brilliance...


...and Westringea (shown) and Crowea varieties, just impossible to ignore!



But on to Stage 2...where all sorts of new forms of old favourites lay before me.

Scaevola, white, mauve (shown) and pink...


Brachyscome galore...divine!


This Glischrocaryon, with its amazing lime green flowers, blew my mind!


Boronias, Swainsonas, Wax flowers, and an array of Dampieras...




 




The Display Gardens included heaps of great ideas for the home garden including this modern shade structure...


and experimental espalier of a species of Snow gum...



I'll be watching these trees with interest as they grow and fill out the contemporary trellis.

The garden was amazing and well worth a visit in its infancy to check out the lay of the land, the use of materials and the structure of the display gardens. I look forward to many more visits as the plants fill out and the garden matures!

Paper daisies in all their glory!